Build a Consistent Home Practice
April 1 – 29, 2016
Day 9 – Vinyasa
Let’s dance in the sunlight! Welcome to Day 9!
You’re rolling right along! Keep up the great work. I have been hearing from you that the vinyasa yoga flow has been one of your favorite parts of the 21 Day Challenge. This is wonderful, because today we have a vinyasa – a variation of Surya Namaskar A (Sun Salute), please set aside 12 minutes to practice.
I am also super impressed how you all have been “sneaking” in your practice! Whether it’s with doggies running beneath you, using Harry Potter books for blocks (brilliant idea!), or in your stretchy jeans in the kitchen while the dinner bakes!
We don’t have to make a big production out of doing a yoga practice. Keep it nice and simple and just move when you can. You can get very creative, I have a student who goes into tree pose to uncork the wine bottle! Or another who knows just how long to boil her eggs by how long she can balance in tree pose! Or handstand in the morning as an alternative to coffee! (Just kidding 🙂 coffee rocks! But really you could use handstand as an alternative pick me up.)
Which pose can you sneak in every day?
Keep breathing and smiling! I’ll see you tomorrow. 🙂
Do you prefer dancing to the SUNRISE or SUNSET?
Let me know in the form below or a comment on Facebook. 🙂
I am a SUNRISE kinda gal. How ’bout you?
The intention for this 21 Day Challenge series is to do something everyday Monday – Friday. We are focusing on doing the basics at home and getting into a rhythm. Pace and modify according to you needs. I will always give you options. Remember you know yourself best, listen to your instincts.
Click on here to download the Journal Page (then simply click the print icon or download arrow to save it to your computer). I have filled in a sample one for you to see at the bottom of the page. Get creative and find wonderful color pens!
Benefits of Vinyasa
(Linking Yoga Poses with Breath):
Reduce Stress, Anxiety, and Depression
- Take a look at your eyes in the mirror before you practice. Notice the quality of light in your eyes. Is there a sparkle? What is your level of worry on a speedometer of 0-100%? How much of that worry really is your’s? Notice how the movement of this practice will move these big feelings up and out. Then always fill back up with a beautiful golden pink light – wash it over your body.
Calms the Mind
- Moving with the breath will calm the waters of the mind. Deep breathing in and out will lower blood pressure and bring you to a place where you feel space between thoughts. There will be room to breathe and simply be.
- Even when you feel sluggish and tired and just want to run to the fridge for a quick energy hit. Yoga is a better choice. Try just doing a downward dog or puppy pose and see how bringing your head lower than your heart can help boost your energy.
Feel Stronger and More Flexible
- We’re using a lot of body weight resistance, holding ourselves in planks, downward dogs, and a few more poses too. With these same poses we open and lengthen our body. And with repetition you’ll find that it’s easier to reach up for your favorite cup on that high shelf. Or even to reach into the back seat of the car.
Improve Cardiovascular Conditioning
- In the beginning we may need to take an extra breath or two in a pose. Over time you will find your lung capacity and breathing improve as you link movement and breath.
with light and love,
Missed a Challenge?
No worries, click on the day below to catch up. 🙂
Week 1 – Get your body moving
Week 2 – Where’s your spirit?
Comments or Questions? Send them to me here and I will get back with you as soon as I can.